What makes the Christian Church/Church of Christ Unique?
All the churches of Christ greet you. (Romans 16:16)
by Kevin Ziegler, Evangelist
The Christian Church/Church of Christ is a church following Biblical principles.
- Principles that take us back to the Authority of the Bible.
- Where the Scriptures speak, we speak. Where the Scriptures are silent, we are silent.
- Do Bible things in Bible ways and call Bible things by Bible names.
- Book, chapter and verse for everything we believe and practice.
The Christian Church/Church of Christ is a church that rejects human creeds.
- No creed but Christ; No Book but the Bible; No home but heaven.
- If creeds say less than the Bible, it doesn’t say enough; if more than the Bible, it says too much; and if it says just what the Bible says, it is unnecessary.
- Creeds do not unite; they divide.
- As far as I find it consistent with the Word of God.
The Christian Church/Church of Christ is a church with no denominational affiliation.
- The church practices local autonomy. This means that each local church is independent of other churches.
- There is no denominational hierarchy.
- Divisions caused by denominationalism are wrong. I Corinthians 1:10-13
- Church members prefer to be called simply “Christians” and reject any man-made label.
- The Bible only makes “Christians” only.
- Each local assembly has Christ as the Head of the church.
- Each local assembly selects its own plurality of elders (pastors) and evangelists to assist in evangelizing and equipping the local assembly. – Ephesians 4:11
- Deacons are also selected by the local assembly to serve the church in many different ministries.
The Christian Church/Church of Christ is a church which believes that Jesus is the ONLY way.
- Jesus said this in John 14:6.
- Peter said this in Acts 4:12.
- The Bible only presents one way to heaven and that is through Jesus and on His terms.
- The Biblical plan to salvation is plain and very simple.
- This Biblical plan can be easily summarized:
- Hear God’s Word – Matthew 7:24; I Corinthians 15:1-4
- Believe God’s Word (have faith in it) – Romans 10:17; Hebrews 11:1
- Repent (turning away from sin unto God) – Luke 13:3; Acts 17:30
- Confess Jesus Christ as the Christ, the Son of the living God – Matthew 10:32, 16:16; Romans 10:8-13
- Be immersed into Christ for the forgiveness of sins and the gift of the Holy Spirit – Acts 2:38, 22:16; Romans 6:3-6; Galatians 3:27; I Peter 3:21
- Live the Christian life showing love and gratitude to God for His salvation, looking forward to His Son’s return – James 1:22-24, 2:20
The Christian Church/Church of Christ is a church that is devoted to the Apostles’ doctrine.
- They were continually devoting themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Acts 2:42
- This includes weekly observance of the Lord’s Supper as a remembrance of the death of Jesus – Acts 20:7.
- This includes the preaching and teaching of the Bible.
- This includes opportunities for Christian fellowship for growth and edification.
The Christian Church/Church of Christ is a church that believes in unity, but only based in the truth.
- There is one body and one Spirit, just as also you were called in one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all who is over all and through all and in all. Ephesians 4:4-6
- In matters of faith, unity; in opinions, liberty; and in all things, love.